harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution of security, crypto, and x-net libraries
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:34:52 GMT
This is very cool -- well done Mikhail and everyone at Intel involved in
producing this contribution.  The Harmony train(*) is leaving the
station :-)

(*) Ref: Geir's note to the list on Nov 8:
"I think of Harmony as a big freight train and [an earlier] contribution
builds on the contributions of Dan, Archie,  David, and all the others
and the train is starting to move.  The  nice thing about a lot of mass
is that even small velocities result in very large momentum."

Loenko, Mikhail Y wrote:
> With pleasure I announce the first contribution to Harmony on behalf of
> Intel. The archive with the contribution is uploaded to the following
> location:

> The contribution includes the following things related to Java security:
>
> 1) Java Security Architecture (public API)
> 2) Java Cryptography Architecture (JCA) and Java Cryptography Extension
> (JCE)
> 3) Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE)
> 4) Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
> 5) Java Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS)
> 6) GSS-API (JGSS)
> 7) ASN.1 support framework and documentation for it.
>
> The contribution does not include security providers and login modules
> except for NT and UNIX login modules, provided as an example, and a
> Certificate Factory provider.
> We have tested this code with BouncyCastle, GNU-crypto, and JESSIE
> third-party security providers.
>
> The code is a result of efforts of Intel Managed Runtime Division team.
> One should be able to run this code with a 1.4+ compatible JRE/VM (we
> tested it with commercial JVMs). Classes that require special support
> from the VM are not included into the contribution. This is, for
> example, the reason why there isn't java.security.AccessController
> class. The implementation is done according to Java 5 specification,
> with the exception of where Java 5 specific language features, such as
> generics, are required. There are some package names starting with
> com.openintel.*, but, should the contribution be accepted, these are
> easy to rename.
>
> Most of the code is pure Java, but where the native parts are required,
> they are provided for Linux and Windows on IA-32 architecture.
>
> Some folks at Intel spent some time over the last week trying to figure
> out whether or not it is going to work with the recent contribution of
> lang/util/io/net/nio packages by IBM, and the general consensus is that
> they, mostly, should be compatible. We have verified that it is already
> possible to run ant and the Eclipse compiler with this combination and
> we are committed to work with the community to get more complex
> workloads to work under Harmony.

We will work closely with you to resolve any issues you have to ensure
the two contributions work well together.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)