harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Unofficial "Harmony, Licensing, the Universe and everything" FAQ
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:41:56 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Note this would kind-of be a
> one-way licensing bridge, eg Classpath would still not be able to incorporate code
> developed at harmony into their codebase (much like classpath currently can't take
> code licensed only under the GPL since the copyright holders need to agree to that
> exception first). Of course, there is never something which would prevent
> individuals who contribute stuff to harmony to contribute that same stuff to
> classpath and it is explicitly fine for the classpath community to ask for stuff
> like that.

And it is to be noted that the above is *NOT* because the ASF does not
want this from happening. We would love to see GPL link and ship apache
licensed code in their system, but the GPL2, as it currently stand,
doesn't not allow that.

Truth is, nothing prevents Classpath from add another little thing to
the exception that says "and we know that code such and such is covered
by the apache license".

And voila', here's your bridge.

--
Stefano.