harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [modularity] OSGi or ? (was Re: half-baked idea? j2me)
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 13:13:10 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> I understand that the topic relates to the mechanics of achieving the
> componentization rather than the content of the components, but I
> proposed a componentization split for the J2SE libraries a while ago [1]
> and the final version ended up on the Harmony wiki [2].  That was done
> only with J2SE in mind, by trying to define the large 'functional units'
> of the class library code.  (I feel like I keep recycling old
> messages... so apologies for the repetition.)

I've had something like that in place for Kaffe for a while during a few
years, but I found the manual updating of component sets during the rush
of development on GNU Classpath to be, ugh, somewhat boring work, and
settled for for an approach where the list of classes to be compiled can
be pruned down, or left to the compiler to pull in the dependencies.

I am wondering if the osgi toolkits support some more automated ways of
partitioning libraries into separate, coupled artefacts. I've heard on
the classpath list, that such tools exist[1], but it seems that I've my
 google skills are not good enough to locate them :)

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2005-10/msg00180.html