harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [modularity] OSGi or ? (was Re: half-baked idea? j2me)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 13:45:50 GMT
I understand that the topic relates to the mechanics of achieving the
componentization rather than the content of the components, but I
proposed a componentization split for the J2SE libraries a while ago [1]
and the final version ended up on the Harmony wiki [2].  That was done
only with J2SE in mind, by trying to define the large 'functional units'
of the class library code.  (I feel like I keep recycling old
messages... so apologies for the repetition.)

I think it would be quite a different story if the goal was to support
ME configurations, where there are (necessarily) limited capabilities as
well as limited sets of types.  For example, you would like to be able
to define 'serialization' as a capability that j.u.Hashtable has in SE,
but not in CLDC.  That would require a different form of modularity to
the definition that j.u.HashMap is defined in SE but not CLDC.

[2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassLibrary