harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: compiling bootJVM with MSVC
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:44:31 GMT
Mika Miettinen wrote:

> Enrico Migliore wrote:
>

>> Right now I got some problems which I'm planning to solve during the
>> weekend,
>> here are two examples:
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> rvoid argv_init(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
>> {
>>    rchar *chkjh;
>>    chkjh =  (rchar *) rnull;
>>    rchar *chkcp;     <--- MSVC flags this as a compilation error
>>
>> ..\jvm\src\argv.c(127) : error C2275: 'rchar' : illegal use of this
>> type as an expression
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I remember banging my head into this same kind of problem some years
> ago. You must always put variable definitions at the start of the
> block; so the start of the function should probably go like this:
>
> rvoid argv_init(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
> {
>     rchar *chkjh = (rchar *) rnull;
>     rchar *chkcp = (rchar *) rnull;
>     rchar *chkbcp = (rchar *) rnull;
>
> The problem is that
>     chkjh = (rchar *) rnull;
> is no longer an initialization, it is an assignment and these
> two are different beasts altogether.
>
> I seem to remember ANSI C requires this definitions-at-the-start
> behaviour and MSVC seems to do it by the book. Hope I'm not
> mistaken (I haven't actually used MSVC for quite some time).
>
> -- Mika

Hi Mika,

 that might be the solution. I'll try it in the afternoon.

Enrico

--
Cordiali Saluti

    Enrico Migliore

/*
 *
 * Enrico Migliore - co-founder and senior electronics engineer
 *
 * FATTI srl - OSGi, GPRS, and GSM systems
 *
 * Via Donatello 48 - 20020 - Solaro - Milano - Italy
 * Phone: +39 (0)2 9679 9655
 * Fax: +39 (0)2 9679 9373
 * http://www.fatti.com
 *