harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: VM/Class Library Interface (or "Storming the Gates! Take 3!")
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:20:06 GMT
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:50:33AM -0600, bootjvm@earthlink.net wrote:
> I've been evaluating Jean-Frederic's configuration proposal and finishing up
> on the core JVM code.  I should have a _complete_ code base by the end of
> next week.

Whoah, cool! <joke>I thought we'd take years</joke> :-)

As an aside (I seem to only be about asides. I did buy a C++ book this weekend!),
I'm not sure if everyone around is used to working with "centralized" version
control as opposed to a more distributed system where people have local trees
(as with arch or similar) that frequently merge...there's every now and then
some big debate about which process is best. In any case, Apache projects pretty
much always have a very centralized approach. That means making small changes and
checking in those every so often. When I'm working fulltime on a codebase, I tend
to do a commit roughly every 30 minutes to an hour. And an update right before.
If several developers do that the trunk rolls along quite quickly and there's loads
of micro-merges.

I'd like to encourage everyone to do things that way, especially with young codebases.
Everyone reading along with the commit messages (and trust me, there's quite a few)
can get a feel for how you develop the codebase and learn from it. Its how I learned
to program in the first place :-). Also important with harmony, is that smaller
chunks of commit messages help us make sure (and trivially prove) that we're working
with freshly developed code instead of stuff pasted from elsewhere.

ciao!

Leo