harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: The Unofficial "Harmony, Licensing, the Universe and everything" FAQ
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:31:31 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:50 -0800, Leo Simons wrote:
> > That's interesting.  I never thought of this.  Given that GNU
> > Classpath is able to modify the GPL with the exception, how about
> > adding something that removes the "can't work with Apache License"
> > problem?
>
> "As a special exception, for Classpath we have decided to make all the
> problems described at
>
>   http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
>
> go away."
>
> And then in proper lawyer terms.
>
> Heh. Very interesting, very pragmatic! Mark, do you think there's
> any chance of making this happen?

Yes. In fact we believe we did that with the Exception we have now. It
was not just meant for helping out the Apache community reuse GNU
Classpath as is, but also other communities. Given that we don't have
bugs in the exception text of course. Patches welcome :)

But as long as the Apache license doesn't have a similar kind of
exception we are still stuck not being able to accept pure ASLv2 code
since some communities that depend on us do have GPL-compatible
requirements. We want to help out all these communities.

Cheers,

Mark