harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: The Unofficial "Harmony, Licensing, the Universe and everything" FAQ
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:04:49 GMT
Hi Leo,

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 02:35 -0800, Leo Simons wrote:
> > There is one nitpick with the whole setup though. It really reads as if
> > harmony is just an ordinary Apache project.
>
> You really should stop whistling that theme. There is nothing ordinary
> about Apache projects and there is no shame in being one. I have no idea
> what kind of *action* should be taken to "reach out more" or "be open".
> Please stop saying "be more open" without explaining how.

You are right. My expectations of Harmony seem to have been much too
high. Ever since we started talking a year ago I wanted this cooperation
to work out so much. And my last few emails to the list show my
frustration that it hasn't worked out as I had hoped. Without giving
clear guidelines as to what has to change. The truth is that I don't
know how to make it happen.

It has happened with gcj/kaffe/jamvm/ikvm/mono/classpath/cacao/etc in
the past. There was a time these projects didn't really work together.
They even were afraid of each other. Over the years this changed
however. And now you will find a kaffe hacker promoting ikvm, or a gcj
hacker showing how to deploy jamvm with eclipse, etc. And we all work
together on the core class libraries (instead of having three competing
projects!). How and why this worked out so nicely I cannot really
explain. Maybe it just needs more time and trust.

One thing that has helped us in the past is meering face-to-face and
sharing our enthousiasm. It seems FOSDEM always brings us closer
together. So I hope some of the hackers will show up and we can make a
harmony miracle happen in Brussels.

Cheers,

Mark