harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: half-baked idea? j2me
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:30:58 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:30 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> What we want to do here is a modular system to which you can easily
> replace parts as appropriate for your usage, either to port to a new
> platform or usage/performance profile....
>
> I think that you'll be fairly satisfied with what we come up with.

Agreed. If you see what is possible now with for example jamvm and
different profiles/chunks of the core library from GNU Classpath you can
see that you can get as small or large as you want:
http://www.aqute.biz/2005/10/osgi-on-slug.html
http://planetmarrs.xs4all.nl/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=1

This is one of the "hot topic" on the GNU Classpath mailinglist. How do
we define "bundles" so people can more easily mix and match precisely
those core library parts they want. See the discussions on
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/ if you are not yet
subscribed. Maybe we could use something like OSGi bundles for this. But
the core libraries are pretty interwoven so there is a lot of dicsussion
what the right approach is.

Cheers,

Mark