harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code contribution to harmony
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:45:26 GMT
Thanks Tim!

A few comments, wearing my Apache hat of course (n.b I am an IBM
employee as well).

0) We need to go through the bulk contribution process for this
donation (of course).  I have an outstanding to-do on that, which is
to wrap up the bulk contrib rules.  I have a proposal that I'll bring
to the dev list later today.  Many of the following statements are
made with the assumption that we will work through this process
successfully, and the project will vote to accept this contribution.

1) This is our most significant donation we have received to date (in
terms of maturity and size, I think) and I encourage everyone to
start to play with it.  I think of Harmony as a big freight train and
with this contribution builds on the contributions of Dan, Archie,
David, and all the others and the train is starting to move.  The
nice thing about a lot of mass is that even small velocities result
in very large momentum :)

2) Combined with the VM that IBM is making available _for
evaluation_, there is a very low barrier to entry to get people up
and working with this.  Tim and his team have gone to great pains to
make this easy to evaluate and use (only to be foiled at the end by
our 10MB upload limit on JIRA, hence the two zip files...) so I
encourage everyone to take some time to play, inspect and of course,
ask questions.

3) I want to emphasize that IBM is making their VM available to help
us evaluate and develop this further until we get our own open source
VM underneath it.   The VM (for which a link will be posted later) is
not being contributed to the project, or licensed for any other
use.   It is proprietary software under a proprietary license.  It is
useful to us because it supports the VM/classlibrary interface that
the IBM donation implements, so we can start evaluation and testing
immediately.

4) To that end, I can think of a few things we can do to get started :

  a) Get our own current crop of VMs working with it - bootVM and
jcheVM.

  b) Help to get Kaffe working with the library interface - see what
it takes to get Kaffe to support this interface as well (if they
want), so we have a more mature free VM that supports the interface.

  c) Help to get GNU Classpath supporting the interface (if they
want) so that GNU Classpath can run on the evaluation VM.

The point here is to continue to focus on our cross-project
interoperability and modularity interests, with this important
interface as a starting point.  The other benefit of this is that we
can start gump-ing this stuff ASAP :)

I'm sure I'll have things I want to add once I hit "send"...

Yay!

geir

geirm@apache.org