harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: opinions on structure packing in C?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:45:09 GMT
>>>>> "Enrico" == Enrico Migliore <enrico.migliore@fatti.com> writes:

Enrico> Since we got GNU libc code, my suggestion is, for each
Enrico> architecture, compile _ALL_ the C code with the same set of C
Enrico> flags, including the libc.

Enrico> In this way, the libc and the VM will be a monolithic
Enrico> executable which will not call the libc functions installed in
Enrico> the system. Yet, we will be free of optimizing the code as we
Enrico> want.

This sort of thing is not really practical for a server or desktop
scenario.  For instance, it would require not only recompiling libc,
but also any JNI code that might be used, plus any libraries used by
this JNI code.  As an example, consider the Gtk peers used by
Classpath's AWT... to do this you're talking about rebuilding a large
part of a typical distro.

Tom