harmony-dev mailing list archives

From jlo...@br.ibm.com
Subject Re: Compilers and configuration tools
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:24:18 GMT
>Rivaaj Jumna wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> This may be a bit off topic but what does a harmony developers desktop
look
>> like? My reason for asking is that I've been groomed on developing
using an
>> ide in the windows environemnt, Visual Studio 6.0 and the like.
>>
>> What sort of tools would one use on a Linux environment, eclipse cdt
>> perhaps? I'm not afraid of command lines, :-) but they're a barrier to
entry
>> for someone like myself who would just like to explore the code base.
>>
>> Regards
>> Rivaaj
>>

>Grab "cygwin" and install a bash shell for windows, the GCC compiler,
>automake, make and vi.  Do not install emacs because it has a speech
>impediment.

Sure, let´s all just forget about cheese-burgers & fries and start eating
vegetables because they are really healthy food and sustain as any other
one (:-P). You could still use vi (i some times do), as you can still
program asc under 8086, but if you really want to increase your
productivity start using a UI. There are a lot of tools to write C/C++
code, i basically use LCC to develop C plain code, but Eclipse CDT is a
very good UI, you will only have to download a C/C++ compiler (CDT dosen´t
come with a compiler) like gcc, or even MVC++ running under wine (or
something like that, i don´t know any one who actually used MVC under
wine).

Andy, dont get mad at me, this is just my point of view, and i tend to
admire oldies (:-)) who are still running things under vi.

        []s

        João