harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Bulk contribution barrier to entry
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:35:08 GMT

On Oct 11, 2005, at 4:53 AM, Dermot Dunnion wrote:

> Ooh, my first post. I've been lurking for a few weeks.
>
> It seems to me that you don't need the permission of every author,
> what you need is permission of every copyright owner.
> So, if Sun gave you full rights to use J2SE source in any fashion,
> you would not also need permission from every Sun employee and
> contractor that ever wrote any code for J2SE. The permission from
> each author is more applicable to an OSS-developed codebase.

You are absolutely right that we require the permission of the
copyright owner - that's standard ASF practice - but we got a step
further in Harmomny : we want to be sure that the software we receive
_for Harmony_ was written by people with acceptable exposure to other
implementations.

We do this latter step to ensure that we can produce software that
truly is an independent implementation of J2SE, and contains no code
improperly obtained from other implementations, or have code that
could be subject to come kind of claim by the copyright holder of
another implementation.

We are interested in protecting both other copyright holders by
respecting their rights, and our downstream users by ensuring that
what they receive under the Apache License has no unforeseen or
unknown encumbrance, or at least do the best job we can.  (The
absolute "best job we can" would involve taking monks or some other
group of people that have been living in isolation, training them to
be programmers, and getting them to write a full, clean
implementation from scratch.  That may have it's advantages if said
monks produced good wine or beer or something, but probably not
something in scope for this project)

> This distinction may help to define what we need to accept code.
>
> My personal viewpoint is that if we receive code for which we can't
> get clear permission, it's a significant risk to use it and we
> shouldn't.
> However, other may be less risk-averse and therefore we should vote.

Understand that not having copyright owner permission is a total non-
starter.  We won't even get as far as a vote if we don't have that.

geir