harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [project policy] Author credit and attribution
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 04:55:18 GMT

On Oct 2, 2005, at 12:22 AM, acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> I prefer them.  I've never had any of the problems that happened in
> Avalon or other projects in any project I've been involved in.
> Author tags do not signify ownership, they signify "I wuz here".
> They are also a principle reason that a lot of newbies get involved
> in open source because they can point potential employers to look
> at code that they wrote (I know a few of this).

Sure, but not having an author tag doesn't take that away.  I really
like them for newbies, but I also have no empirical evidence that
people contribute more eagerly with an author tag...

> They also make it WAY more convienient to say "Hey andy why did you
> do this dumb thing here?" rather than have to figure out who did
> that dumb thing.

Author tags don't actually solve that either when there are more than
one author.  You still have to go look at the log.

> I do recommend omitting email addresses as those just help spammers
> and tend to create useless name change commits.
>
> I'm also the most guilty offender of forgetting to include my
> @author tag on projects that require it :-)

They are very seductive, but I think can be a negative in the long term.

Being aggressive on recognizing the contributions on the contributor
page and AUTHOR files should balance the somewhat debatable theory
about newbies.

geir

geirm@apache.org