harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Accept JIRA contribution HARMONY-3 : Archie Cobbs' Contribution of JCVM
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:24:28 GMT

On Oct 1, 2005, at 1:08 PM, acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Oct 1, 2005, at 12:52 PM, acoliver@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> I think we should refer people to the authorative source, but
>>> that  may be a general bias on my part due to a game I played in
>>> Kindergarten.  :-)
>>>

>> There is no "authoritative source" - projects get to choose the
>> manner in which they run themselves, as that document itself
>> says.   Certainly what we do will capture the spirit and for the
>> most part,  the letter, of that document, but as I said, it notes
>> that  communities have flexibility.
>>

> Okay.  Yeah in the future I'll reply with the link to the
> "guidelines" document.
>
> I suggest that the sandbox be generally commit then review than
> review then commit with the caveat of "be considerate of others"
> when making changes.

Agreed.

I think that even outside of the sandbox, commit then review except
when it's something weird, tricky, sensitive, etc - people can use
their best judgement.  IOW, "don't be a cowboy".  I suspect that as
we get much much further along (like v1.0), we may want a RthenC like
http does for stable tree....

>>> I share your opinion on fractional votes...they are annoying and
>>> make counting more difficult.  However I don't think this
>>> warrants  discussion yet.  Late refactoring is good.  Solve
>>> problems you  have, not the ones you might have.
>>>
>> Maybe I'm too old school and like a little upfront design to keep
>> you  out of trouble ;)
>>

> BUFD, SDLC and CMM are all cuss words to me.

I think that "a little upfront design" isn't quite what CMM is about.

geir