harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Get involved on Harmony
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:49:02 GMT

On Oct 27, 2005, at 5:03 AM, Graham Smith wrote:

> On Monday 24 October 2005 18:45, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>>
>> Correct except for :
>>
>> 1) I'm not fearless
>> 2) I'm not the leader.  We're all peers :)
>>
>
> Yes boss. Erm peer :)

Seriously, yes, oh peer.

>
>
>>
>>
>>> We need people who _do_ know something about a topic as well as  
>>> people
>>> who do _not_ know.  For example, myself.  I have worked with Java
>>> for a
>>> good while, and I have some good experience in Unix, Windows, and
>>> real-time systems.  Therefore, I felt I could write a JVM for this
>>> project.  However, I do _not_ know anything about Java memory
>>> allocation
>>> and de-allocation (known as "garbage collection") systems, as is
>>> evident
>>> from recent list postings.  However, several other people do.  Their
>>> experience will fill in my gap and I will learn something along the
>>> way.
>>>
>>
>> Exactly.  For example, I'm trying to cover the "have people who don't
>> know" aspect, as I don't have a clue :)
>>
>> Welcome... just get involved.
>>
>
> I'm in a similar position to Joäo. I've been reading this list for  
> a few weeks
> thinking that I might be able to help with the harmony project but  
> don't
> understand most of what is said (which I find very depressing) as  
> it all
> seems to be C related.

The shudders go away at some point.  I used to do lots of low-level C  
and I have to say it's been tough to come back to it.

>
> I've been a Java developer (web applications mostly) for a longer  
> than I care
> to think about while sober but wouldn't know C from Perl. This  
> makes me think
> that, at present at least, I probably won't be able to have much  
> input.

That's not true.  We have lots of things to do.  For example, we have  
the entire toolsuite that comes w/t he JDK to do.  Find something in  
there, and get going.  it *can* be in Java, because we assume at some  
point we get to be self hosting with things like that.

>
> AIUI though harmony will eventually write it's own core class  
> libraries
> (java.util, java.sql, javax.swing, etc etc ) which is where I think  
> I could
> be most productive.

Well, we're never going to stand in the way of someone volunteering  
to do what they want to do.

>
> What I suppose I am trying to ask is what area(s) do you think I  
> would be most
> useful working in? What I am hoping is that someone with a good  
> understanding
> of the project will be able to point me in the direction of an  
> overview or
> towards areas that best fit my current skills which will help get  
> me started.
> I've not worked on a project this large before and it's quite  
> daunting to be
> faced with the whole project all at once.

And this is only going to get worse.  What we're seeing is the tiny,  
pointy little tip of the iceberg :)  People are going to pine for the  
days when things were so quiet and simple.

Take a look at the toolsuite - see what catches your interest.

geir

>
> Thanks,
>
> Graham
>
>
>

-- 
Geir Magnusson Jr                                  +1-203-665-6437
geirm@apache.org



Mime
View raw message