harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: [project policy] Author credit and attribution
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 04:22:08 GMT
I prefer them.  I've never had any of the problems that happened in
Avalon or other projects in any project I've been involved in.  Author
tags do not signify ownership, they signify "I wuz here".  They are also
a principle reason that a lot of newbies get involved in open source
because they can point potential employers to look at code that they
wrote (I know a few of this).

They also make it WAY more convienient to say "Hey andy why did you do
this dumb thing here?" rather than have to figure out who did that dumb
thing.

I do recommend omitting email addresses as those just help spammers and
tend to create useless name change commits.

I'm also the most guilty offender of forgetting to include my @author
tag on projects that require it :-)

-Andy

--