harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: RT: Escape analysis
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 04:14:58 GMT
Yeah I thunk it some time ago too.  I think I even commented on that
one.  I'd also like "descoping"

try -{
String myvar = "Hey";
}- catch {

System.out.println(myvar);
}

System.out.println(myvar);

A principle reason for {} scoping is that it allows register allocation
; however, it is practically useless in the above.  9/10 you're going to
have to put "myvar" in at least method scope so that you can get at it
outside of the t/c.  That defeats register allocation in many cases
anyhow.  The above example is doofy but there are many cases when you're
getting a result back inside a t/c and want to save it...that makes you
predeclare it.

I'd also like to be able to opt out of checked exceptions such that they
are autowrapped at runtime exceptions.  I agree with Microsoft on that
one.  It took me awhile...but checked exceptions do more harm than good.

If anyone's interested I'll look up my more comprehensive list that I
had of VM/Java "wishes" for JDK 6.

-andy