harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Accept JIRA contribution HARMONY-3 : Archie Cobbs' Contribution of JCVM
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:08:15 GMT

On Oct 1, 2005, at 8:44 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Great to see this stuff coming in.  Just for my education, what
> does +1
> mean from people --

Generally +1 = yes, -1 = no, 0 = "don't care, but I'm telling you
that because I'm paying attention".  I hope we can avoid the +0, -0
stuff here.

> is it simply that the code 'fits' within the scope
> of the project?  does it mean that the relevant documentation
> (authorized contrubutor questionnaire, ICLA, ?) is known to be on
> file?

No - it means people want to accept the contribution into the
project.  It's one step, and I think the first step.  The rest of the
material must be done before bringing in of course, but in general, I
don't think there's any point in going through that first if then the
project wouldn't want the contribution.

So

1) we vote if we want the code
2) if so, it is brought into the SVN when documentation is complete,
which is handled by the person from the PMC bringing it in

> Your resolved concern below implies that you are also doing a first-
> pass
> IP sniff test, though I recognise that the sandboxing safety net is in
> place too.

Yes - there was a first pass sniff before the vote, in JIRA.  I
commented on it, Archie answered, and Andy also looked around a bit,
so I feel comfortable moving forward.  We have a few pieces of the
safety net :

1) basic review in JIRA
2) set of agreements (ICLA, ASQ, BCC, etc)
3) brought into isolation in the contrib_archive for easy review at
any point in future
4) in this case, brought into sandbox

I don't think we'll be bringing into sandbox always, but maybe that
formal "hop" of unpacking in sandbox and then moving it elswhere
isn't a bad idea.  Dunno.

geir

geirm@apache.org