harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony 'bootJVM-0.0.1' release now available
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:53:44 GMT

That's not how releases are done.  Release has a very specific
meaning at Apache, which means that the project has voted to release
a version, and thus it's being done by the ASF as an entity, rather
than by an individual.  We'll talk about this more as we get further

If you want to mark a version as a milestone of some sort there are
two ways.  The first is that you can create a branch via a svn copy
into a /branch directory or something. However, at this stage of the
project (very early) I'd simply note the SVN revision number for
people so they can check out a version that they can build.  We don't
put tarballs in svn, as a tarball should be recreate-able right from

While where we are now with bootJVM is very impressive, I think we
need simply a marker in time because the code is so rapidly improving
and I don't think anyone will need to go back and get binaries from
this point - being able to just check out the revision and build will
be sufficient.