harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Harmony Bootstrap JVM <boot...@earthlink.net>
Subject Changes to bootjvm 0.0.0 coming soon
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:33:33 GMT

Everyone,

I've been working hard on changes the bootjvm 0.0.0
code that I contributed recently.  There have been a
number of valuable critiques, especially involving
portability issues.  I have taken a hard look at these
and found a number of things that need adjustment,
plus some plain ol' bugs.  Some of these have to do
with structure packing, some with big-endian versus
little-endian processing.  Thanks to everyone who
commented on the list and off on various of these
issues.  Thanks in particular to Geir for his efforts
in porting the code to the CygWin environment and
his continuing effort porting it to the Max OS-X platform.

When I am done checking in this round of changes, I will
label it as release 0.0.1.  In addition to Geir's changes, it will
contain some improvements in the distribution procedures,
an all-around firming up in the documentation, adjustments
to the (optional) Eclipse build procedures, a structural change
to the JVM stack frame layout, portability and architecture
fixes, improved diagnostic message utilities, more of the
JVM opcodes are implemented, and some minor bug fixes.

This will enable me to get back into finishing up the one module
I was still working on when the initial code was contributed,
namely the final round of JVM opcodes as found in the source
'jvm/src/opcode.c'.  When I finish up this module, we will have
a real, live, working JVM.  It will be labled as release 0.0.2.

At that point, we will need everyone's help working on regression
testing, especially with real, live Java class files so we can test
the strength of the JVM instruction implementation.  We will need
to add native support to things like exit(), open(), close(), println()
and other OS calls, plus a number of other items.  A list will be
forthcoming as to how you can get involved in helping to make
this JVM into a living, breathing component of Harmony.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed and commented to date
on my work.  I look forward to working with all of you!

Best regards,

Dan Lydick

P.S. I'm going to be using this project-specific e-mail address for
correspondence concerning the bootstrap JVM so that I can hopefully
organize myself better, keeping BootJVM issues all together and not
accidentally miss any correspondence.  My SVN commits will have my
main e-mail address on it so the repository is not aliased, but I hope to
do all the talking on this one.  Thanks again.