harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "David N. Welton" <dav...@dedasys.com>
Subject half-baked idea? j2me
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:02:16 GMT
Hello,

I'm interested in having a freely available Java system, which seemed as
good a reason as any to start lurking on this list lately.

I've been mulling over what I've seen in the archives here, what I know
of the free java world, free software, communities, marketing, and
various and sundry other things and an idea popped into my head.
Perhaps, like many others, it's a dumb one, but I thought I'd lob it out
there just the same:

Why not start out with j2me?

*) It'd be breaking new ground - something no one has done before in the
'free' world (to my knowledge at least).  That, to me at least, would
increase the fun quotient.

*) It's small, which would make it easier to get running - or at least
easier to make it complete.

*) It's simple.  To my knowledge, in order to stay small, most
implementations are interpreters (possibly assisted in hardware through
things like Jazelle).

*) Modulo space saving optimizations, it could then be used as a launch
pad for "bigger and better things" should we so desire.

*) Perhaps there are some financial incentives for corporations to get
involved.  J2SE is "free beer", so the impetus to work on a free version
mostly comes from a desire to have an open source Java available,
without the practical incentives of a free beer system that other open
source projects have had working in their favor.

Just a thought...
--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/