harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Some questions about the architecture
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:43:42 GMT
Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 17:56 -0500, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>
>>Off tanget, but IMHO this is not strictly true: it depends on whether
>>VM native code relies on finalize() to free up its (non-heap) memory.
>>Here's an exmaple of this:
>>
>>   http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4797189
>
> That problem doesn't occur with GNU Classpath since our zip
> implementation is written in java itself. But we have a similar example
> in the mauve testsuite (one that I also observed while getting JBoss to
> work with GNU Classpath and JamVM). There is a test that opens lots of
> FileInputStreams and then expects the garbage collector to finalize
> these and free up the open file descriptors. gcj explicitly handles this
> by forcing a garbage collect and finalization pass when it cannot create
> a new file descriptor. We currently don't have any convention for
> marking VMObjects or finalizers as (scarce) holding native resources or
> make the native code signal the runtime to do a finalization of such
> objects.

Right, and so this is a bug (although in a different form than
the ZIP example above) in Classpath too. It could be fixed
by creating a new VM method e.g. VMRuntime.runFinalizers()
that would "try hard" to run finalizers.. then the other thread
could loop, calling this method each iteration. There might still
be some more subtlety to this (finalizers have not guarantee of
returning quickly, etc.)

-Archie