harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Some questions about the architecture
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:17:52 GMT
Apache Harmony Bootstrap JVM wrote:
> *** How about you JVM experts out there?  Do you have
>       any wisdom for me on the subject of time slicing
>       on an outer/inner interpreter loop interpreter
>       implementation?  And compared to JIT?  Archie Cobb,
>       what do you think?  How about you lurkers out there? ***

Not sure if this qualifies as "wisdom" but here's how JCVM works:

- POSIX threads are used so no explicit timeslicing is needed.

- At every backward branch, executable code (or the interpreter)
   reads from well-known memory location. When one thread wants to
   get the attention of all other threads real fast, it munmap()'s
   the memory page containing this address.

More details are in the JCVM manual:

   http://jcvm.sourceforge.net/share/jc/doc/jc.html

-Archie