harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Enrico Migliore <enrico.migli...@fatti.com>
Subject Re: C compilers comparison: MSVC vs GCC vs DevCpp
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:31:30 GMT
Florian Weimer wrote:

>* Enrico Migliore:
>

>>the code is a simple function that gets called 300000000 times.
>>

>There's an explicit check in GCC that prevents the removal of empty
>loops (because they are sometimes used for their timing effect on
>embedded targets, IIRC).  Therefore, your test is bogus.

Hi Florian,

to make an exhaustive comparison of the various tool chains I'd need a
test suite.
and yet, I never pretended that the test proposed was the one to use to
select
a compiler rather than another.

I just wanted to see how the tested compilers build up the stack frame
of function calls,
with and without optimization and the impact on the execution speed.

Enrico