harmony-dev mailing list archives

From boot...@earthlink.net
Subject Re: MSVC support, was: Compilers and configuration tools
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:42:10 GMT

All,

>From his posting below:

>  it will ensure that the project sticks to writing portable
>  code as far as possible.

>   - As for the logistical problems, I believe they will be
>  kept to a minimum if we develop keeping multiple compilers
>  in mind from the beginning itself.

Tanuj has several good points about multiple compiler
support.  As to the numerous viewpoints being expressed,
I think we are probably in a bit of a "wait and see" mode
as everyone weighs in and as we decide what direction to
move in.

However, my main purpose in this posting is that several
people have expressed interest in using a standard build
tool such as GNU make or Ant or the like.  I have written
up some small Makefiles for BootJVM that will do full and
incremental compilations and produce the same exact results
as the current /bin/sh build scripts.  They were fairly
simple.  One advantage is that they could be adapted to
handle multiple compilation environments when and if the
need arose without the complexity of modifying the current
scripts  (the long-term price of short-term expediency).
This would ease the project more into maintainable position
before we all got used to using the current scripts.
(Sorry I didn't think to put the effort into this in
the first place, as I deemed getting the code base done
first the more important item.)

Would The List be interested in me replacing these simple
shell scripts (namely, '*/*.sh', being 'build.sh' and
'clean.sh' and 'common.sh') with these simple but _much_
smarter Makefiles (which run GNU make)?  I'd be glad to
polish up these files and stick them out on SVN if folks
are interested.  I am pretty sure that Rodrigo Kumpera and
Robin Garner would be happy if I did so...  ;-)

Dan Lydick

...snip...