harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Harmony Bootstrap JVM <boot...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Some questions about the architecture
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:36:23 GMT

...snip...
> > I agree that the verifier should look into this, but what happens if
> > you get a divide by zero error?  Or a null pointer exception?  These
> > are not available to the verifier, but are runtime conditions that
> > do not arise in advance.  Therefore, they need to be checked at
> > run time and exceptions thrown.  These two examples are subclasses
> > to java.lang.RuntimeException and may be thrown at any time.
>
> There are no diferences from the exception handling (define the catch
> of an exception) perspective between explicit thrown exceptions (no
> matter the Throwable subclass) and runtime generated ones (CCE, NPE,
> etc). The only diferences are on the verifier (verify checked
> exceptions) and how they are trapped (NPE could use the segv signal).
> I don't understand your (un)protected exception classification.

Perhaps I need to use more standard terminology.  In place of
"unprotected", I should say "uncaught".  (Sorry about that!  I'll try to
get my terms straight here.)  This means an exception without
an explicit handler, which could include a java.lang.RuntimeException
or a java.lang.Error.  The VM spec sections 2.16, 2.16.2, and 2.17.7
discuss uncaught exceptions.  This is why I have felt I had to make a
distinction and so implement my code.

> > Try taking a look at the JVM specification, section 2.16.  I have tried
> > to write my code to implement the functionality described there.  I
> > would appreciate you studying section 2.16 and comparing it against
> > my implementation of the exception mechanism to see if you find
> > any flaws in my logic.  If so, please let me know what you find.  One
> > question that I have is that in 'jvm/src/opcode.c' there are a number
> > of references to thread_throw_exception().  The first parameter is the
> > type of event, either a java.lang.Error or a java.lang.Exception or
> > a java.lang.Throwable.  Can I get by without java.lang.Throwable?
> > Everything I throw so far is either an Error or an Exception.  I just
> > included Throwable in case I had something else because I think I
> > remember something in the spec about "something that is not an
> > Error or an Exception," so I thought I would try to cover all angles.
> > Thanks for your help.
> >

> > Dan Lydick
> >
> > ---
>
> Reading "2.16.2 Handling an Exception" I could not find any diference
> between how Exception and Error exceptions are handled. The section
> only defined how an expression/statement is dynamically enclosed by a
> catch block. And even then, there are no distinction between explicit
> throws, runtime generated exceptions and asynchronous exceptions.

VM spec section 2.16.4 makes that distinction, but I'm still wondering if I
can get by without distinguishing java.lang.Throwable here.

Dan Lydick