harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Harmony Bootstrap JVM <boot...@earthlink.net>
Subject Compilers and configuration tools
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:23:16 GMT

I'm with Geir on his comments, but evaluating MSVC
I think is a good idea because there are so many
folks who use it-- or is it?  Rodrigo' comments about
confusion with multiple compiler support make a
compelling argument about going with _one_
compiler-- and look at the minor diffs we have
already experienced!  Rodrigo needs '__int64' on
hit Linux box, and Robin is arguing with finding
the correct 'thread.h' (apparently), and I had no
problems.  All of us are using GCC.  What does
this tell us?  The less we deal with mechanical
issues like compiler invocations, the more real
work we get done.

Bottom line:  Should we just declare one compiler
for now and branch out later, once we have all of
our porting done?

Next observation:  There has been an offer of help
with 'autotools' and some concern about that tool.
I've seen GNU autoconf work (part of autotools?)
nicely, and I'm interested in exploring this avenue
further.

Dan Lydick