harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject opinions on structure packing in C?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:32:52 GMT
I'm working with Dan's bootVM to get to run on Windows, and have been
thinking about the use of -fpack-struct vs #pragm pack() vs just not
packing and writing code that is a little slower, and a little more
verbose, but seemingly more robust and maintainable due to less
information about context needed to avoid surprises.

I've reconfirmed that packing structs is deadly when you want to call
into standard libs

struct stat foo;

stat("foo.txt", &foo);

does some bizarre things :)

So how do people deal with this these days?  I know fashions change,
and I haven't done C in anger for > 6 years...  (I still have the
shakes when looking at it - I'm past the screaming stage...)

geir

geirm@apache.org