harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: Compilers and configuration tools
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:16:30 GMT
Rivaaj Jumna wrote:
> Hi
>
> This may be a bit off topic but what does a harmony developers desktop look
> like? My reason for asking is that I've been groomed on developing using an
> ide in the windows environemnt, Visual Studio 6.0 and the like.
>
> What sort of tools would one use on a Linux environment, eclipse cdt
> perhaps? I'm not afraid of command lines, :-) but they're a barrier to entry
> for someone like myself who would just like to explore the code base.
>
> Regards
> Rivaaj

Grab "cygwin" and install a bash shell for windows, the GCC compiler,
automake, make and vi.  Do not install emacs because it has a speech
impediment.

There is a certain bias I have that tends to think that visual
programmers do not tend to be able to write compilers and the such.  If
command lines are a barrier to entry, wait till you meet hexcodes and
relocatable memory addressing.  However that may just be that I'm a
command line junkie and a bit of a techno-bigot.

-Andy