harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Get involved on Harmony
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:09:19 GMT

On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:00 AM, Stuart, Ashwin wrote:

>  Hi Geir, Dan jvm and others,
>
> Thanks for the responses. I think I'll like it here.
>
> It's been a while since I've done C/C++, so JVM implementation
> participation will take a while.

Once you get over the initial shudders and dry heaves of looking at C
again, it's really quite nice :)

Kinda like looking at Perl again, but with the ability of really
messing up memory with a misplaced "->"

> As part of a J2SE5 implementation, I imagine you will be implementing
> the standard libraries as well. I am interested in pursuing this
> activity to start off.
>
> I would appreciate details on what has been done here and what can be
> done currently.

In the area of class libs, nothing so far.  We've been talking about
a few issues related to the class libraries, such as modularity, the
class library / VM interface, and such.  We've talked about GNU
Classpath a bit, but there's nothing that would stop someone
interested in working here on class libraries from doing so.  I'd
want to make sure that as part of our modularity goals, we can enable
people who want to use GNU Classpath to do so, and as a practical
matter, we want to be able to use GNU Classpath right now because
they are really so far advanced.

Is there something specific that you are interested in wrt class libs?

geir

geirm@apache.org