harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Harmony Bootstrap JVM <boot...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Small problems building under cygwin
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:12:32 GMT

Tom,

You hit the nail on the head.  Harmony _will_ need
to ship a jni.h at some point, including platform-specific
extensions, or arrange with somebody like GNU Classpath
to provide it.  But for now, part of what I am trying to
accomplish is a way for people to _not_ depend on
any particular JDK at this early stage of the project.
This is a result of lurking on the dev@ list for the first
couple of months of the project.  I saw much discussion
about class libraries and their relative merits and
thought it would be wise to stick my head in the sand
until the pain got too intense and I had to deal with
the issue.  :-)

In other words, let people use their existing JDK's for
the time being (especially for the compiler and for the
JAR utility, perhaps basic core classes like java.lang.Object),
we'll solve the problem in the form it comes to us
when we have a code base to deal with.  Now, I
don't know if we are yet to that point because I
need to get all the opcodes working, but if someone
knows of an opcode test suite, that would _definitely_
advance the quality of the software and get us closer
to that milestone of needing our own jni.h file(s).

Dan Lydick