harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Accept JIRA contribution HARMONY-3 : Archie Cobbs' Contribution of JCVM
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:53:57 GMT

On Oct 1, 2005, at 5:34 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> On Oct 1, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Tim Ellison wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry, I wasn't referring to the mechanics of voting, but rather
>>> what
>>> was being implied by the response from people on the list.
>>>
>>> For example, I'd definitely +1 for getting relevant code in as
>>> seed  for
>>> the project,
>>>

>> So did you?  :D
>>

> Well, no  ;-)  because I didn't understand exactly what approval was
> being solicited.

So, to clarify :

  do you think we should bring Archie's contribution to the sandbox
for people to work with?

:)

[ ] +1  Yes, I think that's great!
[ ] -1  No, reason :

>>> so hearing about an incoming VM implementation or interface
>>> design is excellent.  I guess that the PPMC are uniquely in a
>>> position
>>> to ensure that 'bulk' contributions have the paperwork in order
>>> (ref the
>>> contribution policy on the website).
>>>

>> Yes.  (And I'll update the policy docs to reflect better how
>> things  are
>> working later this weekend...)
>>

> I've been looking through SVN, and now that I can see the completed
> contrib_checklist for these pioneers I have a better understanding of
> how this works; i.e. the community acceptance comes after the PPMC
> have
> done a number of verifications.

Actually, no.  You were looking at David Tanzer's. (although I do
have the docs from Archie as well...)

I was thinking that we'd vote before pounding out the paperwork so we
don't make people go through the papework if the community doesn't
want it, but I'm changing my mind and would happily  have the
Authorized Contributor Questionnaire as well as the Bulk Contribution
Checklist accepted by the PPMC before asking for a vote, because then
people will be sure that the basic safeguards we want to have for
exposure are in place.

Nothing stops someone from posting things to our JIRA, but the [vote]
compels the community to download and examine the work to see how it
fits, and by having the ACQ and BCC in place, they can be reasonably
comfortable that we're doing our collective job on this aspect.

geir