harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: Compilers and configuration tools
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:04:00 GMT
Hi Rivaaj,

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 17:07 +0200, Rivaaj Jumna wrote:
> This may be a bit off topic but what does a harmony developers desktop look
> like? My reason for asking is that I've been groomed on developing using an
> ide in the windows environemnt, Visual Studio 6.0 and the like.
>
> What sort of tools would one use on a Linux environment, eclipse cdt
> perhaps? I'm not afraid of command lines, :-) but they're a barrier to entry
> for someone like myself who would just like to explore the code base.

To be honest most of us GNU/Linux hackers just use GNU Emacs as the true
editor/ide/kitchen sink. But since we are now able to provide support
for large applications like Eclipse some people have started to use that
as "dog food" for hacking on GNU Classpath, Mauve and JamVM.

Tom Tromey wrote a couple of guides of how to do that.
  "eclipse, jamvm, and classpath"
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2005-09/msg00073.html
  "mauve testing with eclipse"
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2005-09/msg00074.html

Native eclipse now comes with several GNU/Linux distributions like
Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian (unstable).

Cheers,

Mark