harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Wielaard <m...@klomp.org>
Subject Re: Some questions about the architecture
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:38:21 GMT
On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 17:56 -0500, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Off tanget, but IMHO this is not strictly true: it depends on whether
> VM native code relies on finalize() to free up its (non-heap) memory.
> Here's an exmaple of this:
>
>    http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4797189

That problem doesn't occur with GNU Classpath since our zip
implementation is written in java itself. But we have a similar example
in the mauve testsuite (one that I also observed while getting JBoss to
work with GNU Classpath and JamVM). There is a test that opens lots of
FileInputStreams and then expects the garbage collector to finalize
these and free up the open file descriptors. gcj explicitly handles this
by forcing a garbage collect and finalization pass when it cannot create
a new file descriptor. We currently don't have any convention for
marking VMObjects or finalizers as (scarce) holding native resources or
make the native code signal the runtime to do a finalization of such
objects.

Cheers,

Mark