harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Bulk contribution barrier to entry
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:11:07 GMT

On Oct 12, 2005, at 2:59 AM, Richard Nienaber wrote:

> What are the implications in the following scenario:
>
> Person A contributes completely original code X
> Independent reviewer compares X code to copyrighted code Y from
> $BIGCORP and
> finds them extremely similar

I think it comes down to "how extremely".  For some problems, there
is only one way to do things.

For example, create a new subclass of Exception that doesn't look
like ...

public class FooException extends Exception {
     public FooException() {
     }

     public FooException(String message) {
         super(message);
     }

     public FooException(String message, Throwable cause) {
         super(message, cause);
     }

     public FooException(Throwable cause) {
         super(cause);
     }
}

I've actually been in a situation where a lawyer flagged something
like this as a problem.

So I think that if the implementation is the "obvious" way - the
canonical way a competent practitioner would do it - we're probably ok.

OTOH, it's still possible to do an independent implementation of
something that does violate copyright -  if you independently
composed music that sounded just like Vertigo by U2, you'd have a
copyright problem.

So I think we'll just have to handle those cases if and when they arise.

geir

geirm@apache.org