harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Accept JIRA contribution HARMONY-5 : David Tanzer's proof-of-concept component model
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:58:40 GMT

On Sep 30, 2005, at 2:51 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> David Tanzer has offered his proof-of-concept component model to
>> the  project.  It can be found here :
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-5
>> [ ] +1 Accept the code into the project
>> [X] -1 Don't accept the code.  Reason :
>>

> The code itself is posix only.

It's a proof of concept for the sandbox!  This isn't a commitment to
the idea or the implementation, but just getting it in so people can
play....

> If we continue this way, porting to the other platforms will
> become impossible.
> Even the simple posix itself is incompatible between various
> flavors. For example on AIX there is 'archive.a(dso.so)' and
> dlopen needs 'RTLD_NOW | RTLD_GLOBAL | RTDL_MEMBER' flags.
> Some platforms like HPUX use the shl_load, not to mention the
> Windows or Netware.
>
> The actual code itself exists, and is very much mature within
> Apache2, and module dependencies are implemented within apr-iconv
> project, so perhaps this would be a way to go.

APR?  I think that we'll leverage APR heavily.  Whether or not the
APR API is the one we use as the standard porting layer API remains
to be seen. If not, I'm certain will used it for platform
implementations of the porting layer...

> Also, what about coding style guide?

That's a good question, and something I assume we'll converge around
as we get moving.

geir

geirm@apache.org