harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] Interpreter vs. JIT for Harmony VM
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:57:31 GMT

On Sep 21, 2005, at 11:38 PM, Frederick C Druseikis wrote:

> Hello list,
> Long time reader, first time writer.

Welcome

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:30:10 -0300
> Rodrigo Kumpera <kumpera@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Having a mixed JITed-interpreted enviroment makes things harder.
>> Writing a baseline, single pass JITer is easy, but there are A LOT
>> more stuff to make a port that just the code execution part.
>>

> Agreed.
> I'd like to amplify on that point about the more stuff.  I think my
> conclusion is
> that if you try to live without it you'll end up creating the guts
> of the interpreter anyway.

[SNIP]

> My sense is that a small interpreter with a pluggable JIT is a
> pragmatic approach.
> Which means to me that the central question is one of what is the
> interface relationship
> between the Interpreter and the JIT? What part of the interpreter
> makes the decision about what methods should be JITed?  I see the
> interpreter collecting data, some pluggable interface
> making policy decisions about what to JIT, and one of them calling
> the JITer when it's time.

Yes - this is what I was trying to get at, and will note additionally
that a clean portable interpreter helps us with the portability goal.

So, are there examples out there of what this interface may look
like?  (Maybe a topic for a new thread on "[arch] Interpreter/JIT
interface" rather than "vs"... )

geir

geirm@apache.org