harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: [discussion] Committer Addition Process
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:16:36 GMT
> So I'd like to keep it really simple :
> 1) Anyone with a contribution that would belong in SVN can be
> considered for commit status by the PMC (PPMC while in incubation).
> This contribution can be anything - new code, a patch to existing  code,
> documentation, a change to the website, testing code or other
> resources, etc. (Hopefully this gets people interested in harvesting
> good docs from the WIKI, as that's worth commit status IMO)

I'm not sure how this seeds initial committers though.  Start with this,
any existing Apache committer or member who has turned in his ACQ and
requests commit access.  This will at least get an initial set of
committers to the repository.  Its also the "likely suspects".

> 2) If offered commit status by the PMC and accepted by the  individual,
> we will get an ACQ from the individual along with an ICLA  if not
> already on file with the ASF secretary.  I'd ask that  individuals wait
> to do an ACQ until offered, as the ACQ will be  evolving over time as we
> learn, and I'd like to ask that a new  committer have the current
> version on file as of the date of them  being added as a commmitter.

This will probably be less of a problem when there is code.

> 3) The individual would be given free reign in the area to which they
> contributed, and trusted to engage with the relevant part of the
> community for other areas of our codebase/resourcebase.

And if they request access to another area provided they have no issues
they should be given so forthwidth.  Start one UNIFIED project not 12.

> Comments?  If people agree to this, I'd like to add this to our  website
> as part of the project policy.

If this opens the repository to code then I think its great.  If not,
then I think it sucks.

> geir

View raw message