harmony-dev mailing list archives

From acoli...@apache.org
Subject Re: [discussion] Committer Addition Process
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:33:25 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I'm going to shameless steal an idea from Andy Oliver.  Amended with  #4 :
>
> 1) Anyone with a contribution that would belong in SVN can be
> considered for commit status by the PMC (PPMC while in incubation).
> This contribution can be anything - new code, a patch to existing  code,
> documentation, a change to the website, testing code or other
> resources, etc. (Hopefully this gets people interested in harvesting
> good docs from the WIKI, as that's worth commit status IMO)

I would like to offer this:

build.xml:
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!-- Define reference to file containing common targets -->
<project name="harmony" default="main" basedir="." >

  <target name="main" description="build all source">
    <echo>Harmony build</echo>
  </target>

</project>

------------
build.sh
#!/bin/sh

ant $*

build.bat
@echo off
REM convenience bat file to build with
REM ATTENTION: Set ANT_HOME to the root directory of ANT distribution

setlocal

PATH=%ANT_HOME%\bin;%PATH%
ant %*

endlocal
------------

Once given commit access I'll begin adding functionality to build java
and c targets and launch make files, etc.  (I'm mostly ambivilent so
long as dumb people can run it and get out binaries)

Qualifications:
I read books on compiler theory in my spare time and get GCC to output
asm to see all the cool native codes that come out (god PPC is so much
cooler than Intel).  I also know couple things about coding in a hot
legal environment and how to be appropriately paranoid while still
moving forward.

> 2) If offered commit status by the PMC and accepted by the  individual,
> we will get an ACQ from the individual along with an ICLA  if not
> already on file with the ASF secretary.  I'd ask that  individuals wait
> to do an ACQ until offered, as the ACQ will be  evolving over time as we
> learn, and I'd like to ask that a new  committer have the current
> version on file as of the date of them  being added as a commmitter.

My CLA is already on file.  I'm willing to sign whatever.

> 3) The individual would be given free reign in the area to which they
> contributed, and trusted to engage with the relevant part of the
> community for other areas of our codebase/resourcebase.

I am completely untainted because I have made a conscious effort to
never read Sun's source because I always intended to do something like this.

> 4) A committer will lose commit status after 4 months of inactivity.
> In order to regain commit status, that person must begin  participating
> by offering a patch, new code, etc :)

Note that this means voting rights too.  This should be automated with a
demon process that runs once a month and reaps dead people....  No
whining, you can't argue with CVS^M^M^MSVN's commit logging.

-andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.