harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Elford, Chris L" <chris.l.elf...@intel.com>
Subject [Arch] Suggestion to prioritize JVMTI over JVMPI and JVMDI
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:55:02 GMT
Hi all,

JVMTI is on track to replace the older JVMPI and JVMDI interfaces. J2SE
5 supports JVMTI and JVMPI/JVMDI but future followons to J2SE are
expected to remove support for the older interfaces. Tools vendors seem
to be in the process of transitioning to the JVMTI interface. It does
not really makes sense to invest too much effort in the Harmony project
supporting the JVMPI interface. It would be much more effective to
invest the effort making the JVMTI implementation more complete so that
it includes more of the optional functionality of JVMTI.

I suggest that we concentrate our debug/tools interface work in Harmony
to making JVMTI work really well and let JVMPI and JVMDI fall away.

Regards,

Chris Elford
Intel Managed Runtime Division