harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [Arch] Class unloading and VM objects reclaim
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:09:05 GMT
usman bashir wrote:
> i think When loading a class loader let him manage his heap i.e. a memory
> should be associated per class loader for general objects (i.e. objects that
> will be garbadge collected) however as for as Strings are concerns thay must
> be shared gloablly as to follow the requirements imposed by the Java specs.

Hmm.. so you're basically saying partition the entire heap
according to class loader (of each instance's class)?

You could do that and it would work... but what do you gain?
(not a rhetorical question, I just can't think of anything).

By the way, no special handling for Strings is necessary;
java.lang.String is always loaded by the boot loader.

-Archie