harmony-dev mailing list archives

From David Tanzer <stru...@guglhupf.net>
Subject [arch] VMCore / Component Model
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:04:22 GMT
Since we already started to define some component interfaces I think we
also should start thinking about a component model which loads /
connects such components. Maybe there are also some existing solutions
we might want to look at (I must confess I didn't really search yet).

I guess a requirement for such a component manager would be that it can
load and connect components at runtime and that the specific
implementations which are loaded can be configured. It might also be
good if the same component implementations can be linked at compile time
(i.e. statically) which could have benefits on embedded platforms, but
I'm not sure if we really need this.

Another requirement would be that the components can be written in
different programming languages (i.e. C, C++, Java, ...). It isn't
really a problem to solve this for C and C++, but can we also easily
support other programming languages?

A simple way to implement such a component model in C would be an
approach similar to the one Tim Ellison described in [1] where he
explains the structure of the J9 VM's portability library. I started
writing a proof of concept implementation for this, and I'll add it
to the wiki as soon as it's finished.

It would be interesting to have several such proof-of-concept
implementations of component models which we can study and the decide
which to use. We could even write "import mechanisms" for the different
component models so they can import and use components from another
model too (of course this would normally imply reduced performance).

Regards, David.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200509.mbox/%3c431866C9.705@gmail.com%3e

--
David Tanzer, Haghofstr. 29, A-3352 St. Peter/Au, Austria/Europe
http://deltalabs.at -- http://dev.guglhupf.net -- http://guglhupf.net