harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hind <hi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [arch] JIT interfaces
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:51:25 GMT
Steve Liao wrote:

> I would like to find out how other Harmony developers want to solve
> some basic JIT/VM interfacing.  One area is stack maps for precise
> enumeration of live object references.

> Does anyone know how other open source JVMs do the above?

Jikes RVM's compilers (baseline & optimizing) produce machine code and
metadata about the compiled method, which includes stack maps.  The
compilers create the maps, which are associated with a runtime version of
the method.   When a GC occurs, the GC stackwalker checks each stack frame
to see who compiled it, and then asks the appropriate compiler auxiliary
code to enumerate the references in that stack frame.  This is done by
repeatedly calling this auxiliary code until it returns a sentinel
signally "no more references".

I think this worked pretty well.

Mike