harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:05:21 GMT
>> I suppose you meant about light weight JNI calls :)
>>

> I suspect that the original poster was refering to Continuations
> as in:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation
> or
> http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2005/04/13/Continuations-for-
> Curmudgeons

Yepp! Currently we work around with bytecode rewriting

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/javaflow

But that's quite an effort. I heard that in the sun
jvm the exception mechanism does almost provide what
is required for continuations.

It might also be possible to slot it in through the
hotspot interface but it would be nice to have a
slightly easier way of hooking that in.

> It seems that Dolphin will contain a new invoke-[something]
> bytecode that is supposed
> to help implementation of dynamic languages; I don't know any
> details of the semantics yet, but
> having continuations or CPS supported by the JVM/a bytecode would
> probably be nice.

Hmmm... that sounds interesting!

cheers
--