harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Braithwaite <...@braithwaites.net>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:29:17 GMT
On Aug 28, 2005, at 6:06 PM, Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Posix is popular and widely used across many different platforms.
> Intel had
> implemented ORP basically on top of Posix, and it was easy to use
> Posix to
> wrap Windows APIs.
>
> Now there are more portable API libraries to choose from, such as
> APR, and
> IBM Portability Library. For ease of portability across a broad
> range of
> platforms, I suggest that we use APR as the portability api. Do
> folks on the
> mailing list think that this is a good idea?
>
> Thanks,
> xiaofeng

<delurk>

As an intensely interested bystander, I'll just kick in my two cents
here. Posix compliance is a really good idea, since it is so
frequently specified by so many corporate and governmental policies
and regulations (e.g., AFIPS, if memory serves).

Yes, there are some portable API libraries out there that are
superior in certain aspects to Posix. But I think the repercussions
of not being Posix-compliant are going to cost more than any gains
from specific gains by a less ubiquitous library.

Just my two cents worth.

Peace,
-Ron
</delurk>