harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Weldon Washburn <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:15:57 GMT
On 8/27/05, David Tanzer <struppi@guglhupf.net> wrote:
> Some questions: Are these the actual headers we program against? If
> yes, this would assume we use C or C++ to implement the VM, or at least
> these components, right?
The purpose of the text files is to solicit comment on the APIs they
contain.  The APIs are similar to the ones we have used for building a
VM.  I am very interested in what harmony-dev mailing list thinks of
these APIs.

> Sorry if I'm asking something which has already been resolved, but I
> was just searching the mailing list archives and I found much
> controversy about which language to use, but I didn't find a resolution.

I agree that there is no resolution yet.  I am hoping that a
discussion of specific APIs will help move us to a resolution.

> Anyway, I thing C/C++ would be a good choice to implement performance
> critical parts of the VM.
I agree with this statement.

> Another suggestion: IMHO it would be good to use the Java Coding
> Conventions in C/C++ code too. While this has the disadvantage that
> the coding style in the C/C++ code might be inconsistent in some places
> it would have the great advantage that all code (and all interfaces)
> we write use the same coding style.

Good idea!  Perhaps you could rewrite a few of the APIs I have posted
in Java Coding Conventions style.  We could then discuss the merits.
If it makes sense, I would then rewrite field_access.txt, etc. to
reflect the proposed style.

By the way, I also posted vm_class_manipulation.txt to wiki page.
Please take a look.

      Weldon