harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tom <...@gatewide.com>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:15:40 GMT
Hi

Thanks, great overview, Ricardo! In regards to APR as a candidate for
the OS Abstraction Layer (OAL) project:

I like the APR idea, but still would like to evaluate how feasible it
will be to port whatever we chose as the OAL to various embedded
platforms, in particular ARM, PowerPC and MIPS.

What are there any good alternative projects to APR? All portable
embedded apps I have worked on either did not have the porting
requirement or rolled their own porting layer, always around Berkely
sockets, sometime around POSIX threading.

As I do not have any APR porting experience on my own I tried to use
google to get an estimate of what has been done in regards to APR ports
for these three:
The number of hits for "Apache Portable Runtime", "ARM", "PowerPC" and
"MIPS" produced quite a few hits on Google. (647, 645 and 468,
respectively)
So, rather encouraging, but if someone could post his own experience on
porting APR this would certainly be more helpful than my Google-guessing.

Thanks
Tom