harmony-dev mailing list archives

From David Tanzer <stru...@guglhupf.net>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:37:50 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> [Snip]
>  - I'd vote that the "J2SDK Toolkit" be predominantly written in Java
> and avoid the requirement for the CTL.

Agreed, I'd say we should only choose something different than Java for
implementating the toolit when there is a really good reason (i.e.
performance is critical and a prototype has shown that the C/C++
implementation is faster).

Another point concerning the Toolkit: In the architecture proposal there
is the following suggestion: "The overall tool goal is to permit or
promote augmented clients in addition to the standard-named ones." I
think this is a good idea, for example I can think of lots of things
I want to have in javadoc which the standard version does not provide.
Anyway we should be careful with that so we don't create a possible
vendor lock in to harmony. I think it's crucial for the success of
Harmony that projects written agains harmony can be build with any
other java implementation without too much porting.

This is also an argument for writing the toolkit in Java: we could
distribute these tools for use with other Java Software Development
Kits too.

Regards, David.