harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [arch] Modular JVM component diagram
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:01:26 GMT
Ricardo,

Do you intend to put some words to your attachment?  I took a look but
it didn't make much sense to me without understanding the notations and
colors you adopted.

But... it did cause me to go back and re-read Jon's original
architecture proposal.  I broadly agree with the proposal, and have the
following minor comments:

 - Can we avoid calling the class library project "classpath", unless we
specifically mean GNU Classpath?

 - I'm pleased to see the "development facilities" subproject taking a
major role; however, the proposal says that the development facilites
should be "stripped from the build for non-development releases".  I
suggest that we design the trace / debug facilities in such a way that
they can be left in all builds, and enabled at different levels
appropriate to the usage requirements from development to end-user.

 - The claim is that "The main Harmony project in terms of volume is
likely the JVM project" -- if we are on the hook to do a classlibrary
implementation that will dwarf the VM in terms of volume ;-/

- Although not shown in the diagram, I'm assuming that the core
interpreter comes under the Runtime Project in JVM.

 - The "VM Core Sub-components" that dims added is a good list of things
that will be addressed in the vm-core.  Some of these have a natural
grouping.

 - I'd vote that the "J2SDK Toolkit" be predominantly written in Java
and avoid the requirement for the CTL.

Regards,
Tim

--